A Nanny is someone with sufficient qualifications, or who has a few years experience or a mix of both. A Nanny can look after children of all ages and should provide plenty of fun and learning opportunities in a safe environment. Opting for a Nanny as a solution to childcare, compared to other possibilities, provides a greater level of flexibility, whereby care can be extended to look after children who have been taken ill, or to accompany the family on holiday, and moreover can provide a closer relationship, resulting in a more comprehensive provision of care.
Working hours and pay
London salaries for Nannies are:
Live-in £350-450 net pw, with a minimum of £400 if qualified.
Live-out £450-600 net pw, with a minimum of £500 if qualified.
For overseas nannies, salaries are in the order of £500-1000 with flights and medical insurance paid on top.
With respect to hours, these depend on the position, but by and large they tend to be 8am to 6/6:30pm. Residential nannies tend to start slightly earlier and finish a bit later with a break during the day. Also, for a residential Nanny, it would be expected that the contract would include 1 or 2 babysittings per week. For daily nannies, this would generally incur an additional fee.
Although there are no specific qualifications for nannies, you should expect a Nanny to hold recognised childcare qualifications such as
- CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education (previously known as NNEB)
- NVQ or SVQ Level 3 in Early Years Care and Education
- BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in Early Years
- BTEC Certificate in Children's Care and Education
- BTEC Higher National Certificate or Diploma in Early Childhood Studies
- A First Aid Training qualification
At Happy Home, we believe that a Nanny can have a huge impact in a child's life. Children often look up to adults as examples of how to behave in our social world. Therefore, we are extremely selective with our nannies. We believe that a Nanny must be well spoken, well mannered, have good social skills, good common sense, must be fit and healthy, have good eating habits, good hygiene and even good posture. Most of all, we believe that being a Nanny is a vocation or career, and as such we look for passion around childcare in all our candidates..
A family should expect the following from a Nanny.
- Plan, organise, and carry out appropriate, stimulating activities for children
- Use consistent behavioural management techniques, previously discussed with the parents
- Establish or follow children's individual routines, responding to the children's personal needs.
- Discussing progress and daily activities with the parents, directly or through a daily nanny diary.
- Supervise children at all times, making sure children are always safe
- Approve any transport with the children with the parents beforehand
- Administer medication only as instructed by the parents
Hygiene, food, nursery duties
- Clean feeding equipment and sterilise if needed, keep children's bathroom, potties, toilets clean
- Teach and encourage children basic hygiene rules and bath them regularly
- Perform children's laundry
- Keep toys and child related equipment in good order. They should be in good working condition and stored in organised way
- Prepare nutritious healthy meals from scratch. Times and menu should be agreed with the parents
- Follow food hygiene principles, checking ingredients are not out of date, following standards to avoid cross contamination
- Be aware of food or other allergies
- Keep children areas clean and tidy - kitchen, play area, bedroom, bathroom
- Make the beds/cots on daily basis
- Wash and change the bedding weekly or when soiled
Our verification Procedure
- We require a minimum of two proofs of identity
- We verify relevant qualifications, where possible
- We speak to a minimum of two previous employers
- We require a valid First Aid Certificate as well as CRB (enhanced Police check). In the situation where a candidate does not hold either of these, we require candidates to sign that they are happy to obtain these
- As well as formal checks, we personally interview all applicants and use our knowledge, skills and experience to gauge their suitability for the position.
Procedure of getting a Nanny
If you want to use our services, you can either contact one of our consultants or register online.
In either case, we will need to have a conversation with you to get a full understanding about your family,
children and the way you like your household to be run, as well as the position in question.
We always have many, quality candidates on our books, and we interview new ones on daily basis, so we should be in a position to send you some candidates straight away. Prior to this, you can browse for yourself online on our website.
We then can arrange an interview with a possible second, more detailed meeting.
You can start off by either taking someone for a trial day which is free of charge to us, and you will simply pay the candidate in the region of £10 per hour.
When you are happy with the candidate, we recommend you speak to their previous employer and if things are good, you can offer them the position.
Payment of fees
We require full payment prior to commencement of the placement. However, we do offer a 6 month guarantee period, during which we will find a replacement, free of charge.
For nannies, contact us on 020 7824 5182